It’s no surprise that rates of depression, anxiety and other mental disorders soar during pandemics.1 Currently, 58% of U.S. workers are suffering from COVID-related anxiety, and 35% say it’s interfering with their workplace productivity.2
In times of stress or trauma, such as a pandemic, an employee assistance program (EAP) can help employees develop coping skills to address real or perceived threats in a productive manner.
What is an EAP?
An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a confidential workplace service that offers free and confidential assessments, short-term counseling, referrals, and follow-up services to employees who have personal and/or work-related problems.
What does an EAP help with?
An EAP can help employees deal with work-life stressors, family issues, financial concerns, relationship problems, and even drug or legal concerns. Some EAPs also extend assistance to family members.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, many states are offering free support telephonically. The emotional and mental health toll of this crisis will be significant. Additional support and resources can help address the impacts of stress, fear, financial loss, illness, grief and loss, children out of school and isolation created by social distancing.
Please note: carriers may offer embedded EAP programs in your life, disability, medical plans at no cost to you or your employees. Standalone EAP solutions are also available typically based on a per employee per month ranging from $1.10-$2.50 depending on services and needs. Contact your local Alera consultant for additional information.
Below are additional resources to help you and your employees through these unprecedented times.
Guidance for Leadership and Management
• "Leading through COVID-19"
Family, Couples, and Parenting Tips
• Love in the Time of Coronavirus—6 Tips to Protect Your Marriage While Quarantined
• Avoid Cabin Fever with These 125 Ideas to Keep Kids Entertained During the Coronavirus Crisis
• How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus
Working from Home Tips
• 9 Tips To Be Productive When Working At Home During COVID-19
• 8 Tips To Make Working From Home Work For You
• How to Work From Home Without Losing Your Mind
• How to keep yourself happy and productive if you're working from home because of the coronavirus
For more COVID-19 resources, check out Alera Group’s COVID-19 Resource Page: aleragroup.com/coronavirus/