When it comes to wellbeing, employers often find themselves challenged by how to approach a shift from a traditional wellness model to a comprehensive and holistic program that supports the whole person.
We hope that you were able to attend our Alera Group 2021 Virtual Employee Wellbeing Fair last week! Thank you to so many of you for joining us! If you, or your employees, missed any of our sessions, the recordings can be found here. Please feel free to share these recordings with your team.
Below you’ll find this week’s curated list of wellbeing resources. Feel free to share these resources, as appropriate, with your team.
- Are You Bringing Your Whole Self to Work? To truly be successful in the face of all the challenges we are up against, we must be willing to bring our whole selves to work. Here are five specific things you can do to be more effective, successful, and engaged at work these days while encouraging others to follow your lead.
Social & Family Wellbeing
- The Parenting Hall of Shame: Now Accepting Members – We all lose it from time to time. We say mean things, we yell, or just generally act in ways we’re not proud of. But why is it we don’t talk about moments like these with other parents? Sharing these struggles has some very real benefits.
- Free App for Caregivers – If you are a caregiver, finding support and community can be critical. Check out ianacare’s free app where you can build your support team, coordinate care, and communicate key updates all in one place. You can invite friends, family, neighbors, and other supporters in your life to help when they can.
- Inside the Psychology of Overspending and How to Stop – Financial stability comes from following the basics of personal finance, like creating a budget, but there's also an emotional element in attitudes and decision-making around money. One common financial challenge, overspending, can be eliminated with a combination of practical strategies and emotional understanding.
- 5 "Healthy" Foods That May Contain Sneaky Sugar – No matter how well you eat, sneaky sugar is likely making its way into your diet. Celebrity nutritionist, JJ Virgin, shares the top sneaky sugar sources so you can learn to be a sugar detective.
- Join a Charity Walking Challenge – You can still join our ‘Step Up with Alera’ walking challenge sponsored by Givhero and Alera Group. Each day you achieve a goal of 5,000 steps you will be helping to donate to one of our favorite charities. Join now and walk with us through October 8th.
- If Slow Living Isn’t Your Thing, Try Slower Living – Slowing down can feel difficult for so many people because they struggle with creating the time, energy, and headspace for it. But when we overtax ourselves, it’s hard to feel balanced and focused on a daily basis. Here are 5 tips to help you embrace slower living.
- One Mom’s Reminder About Teens and Empathy in the Age of Social Media – For those raising teenagers now, social media wasn’t in existence when we went through the teen years ourselves. It’s not difficult to understand the incredible impact it can have on our kids during their most self-conscious phase. One mom explains what we need to teach our teenagers about empathy in the age of social media, and how we ourselves can serve as an example.
Employer Focused Wellbeing
- Compassion and Accountability Aren’t Mutually Exclusive – Since the pandemic began, there’s been a call for managers to be understanding and lenient with employees as they navigate the stressors the global crisis has brought on. Now that restrictions are lifting in many parts of the world, some managers are wondering how to continue to balance compassion for the people on their team and accountability for getting work done. The good news is experts say that it’s possible to have both.
- Employer and Employee Mental Health Resource Sheets – As a follow-up to our panel discussion on mental health in the workplace last week, we shared resource sheets for both employees and employers as it relates to mental health. Please feel free to share the employee mental health resources sheet with your team.